Help Us Keep Breast Cancer Patients in Treatment
- Each year, 200,000 Americans are diagnosed with breast cancer.
- One in three cancer patients will have to turn to friends or family to pay for care.
- Bankruptcy rates among cancer survivors are 260% higher than households without a cancer diagnosis.
- Cancer patients who filed for bankruptcy have a 79% higher mortality rate compared to those who had the same cancer and did not file for bankruptcy.
- Patients who struggle financially suffer from depression, delay filling prescriptions due to financial pressure, and some even skip doses of life-saving medication.
The Komen Northeast Ohio Safety Net
Many breast cancer patients are faced with the impossible choice of paying for life-saving care or keeping a roof over their heads. Komen Northeast Ohio has set up a program that will provide Northeast Ohio families battling breast cancer with the resources they need to overcome these difficult choices. At least 25% of our community grant funds will be dedicated towards helping individuals pay for cost of living expenses while in treatment for breast cancer. These dedicated funds will allow individuals to focus on staying in treatment and healing, rather than focusing on how they will pay to keep the lights on.
Our #GivingTuesday goal of $5,000 will go directly towards supporting our financial assistance safety net. The more money we are able to raise, the more individuals and families we are able to help. Click here to make a #GivingTuesday donation and help us keep breast cancer patients in care and free of financial debt and worry.
What is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. Since its inaugural year in 2012, #GivingTuesday has become a movement that celebrates and supports giving and philanthropy with events throughout the year and a growing catalog of resources. #GivingTuesday connects diverse groups of individuals, communities, and organizations around the world for one common purpose: to celebrate and encourage giving.