The Komen NEO COVID-19 Action Fund
March 31, 2020 – Komen Northeast Ohio Announces New COVID-19 Action Fund
The damage from the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) extends to those battling breast cancer. We have already seen patients lose income and fear for their health and survival, with many unable to access the treatment and medical care they critically need. Our work has never been more important, but the impact of COVID-19 makes it critically urgent.
Susan G. Komen® Northeast Ohio has established a new, unrestricted COVID-19 Action Fund to help our organization support the unique needs of people facing breast cancer during this health and economic crisis. Rising unemployment, mandatory stay at home orders, and an overburdened healthcare system are causing a perfect storm for breast cancer patients who have questions or need care. Funds raised will ensure our Affiliate is able to help those in need of support during this crisis today.
Komen Northeast Ohio remains committed to doing whatever it takes to save lives by supporting those most vulnerable within the breast cancer community. The supports urgent needs among our breast cancer community today. Donors to the fund ensure free, timely, and important services continue for those in need, including:
- Patient navigation to help anyone access the treatment they need by breaking down economic, social, and emotional barriers; assist symptomatic women in obtaining necessary services; and answer questions related to healthcare concerns
- Financial assistance for cost of living expenses for those in active treatment so women never have to choose between keeping the lights on or buying her next prescription
- Transportation assistance for those who need rides to and from necessary medical appointments
- Continued advocacy for Ohio’s breast cancer patients and their needs among policy makers; funding for safety-net programs will be a tough battle in the next budget cycle due to the increase in COVID19 health needs, and we need to be there to fight for BCCP
- Virtual education experiences to assist patients in accessing critical, timely information related to breast cancer treatment and COVID19, online support groups, exercise classes, and information on how to cope with stress and anxiety
- Funding lifesaving research and clinical trials to discover new treatments
- General organizational support to keep us operating at full capacity so we can continue to deliver our mission
Individuals and companies interested in supporting the unique needs of breast cancer patients during this health crisis are encouraged to visit komenneohio.org/covid19 to learn more or click here to donate directly to the Action Fund.
For people looking for immediate support, Komen Northeast Ohio’s patient navigator can provide information, social support, and help with coping strategies related to anxiety or concerns during these uncertain times. Please call Melanie at (216) 210-1987 or email her at email@example.com.